Thursday, October 27, 2011

Peeper Toad

No, it's not a species... I think.
This is a little private commission from a law firm that wanted to honor a member (retiring? birthday? not sure). Anyway, they were excellently professional and kind, so I enjoyed the process, despite the fact that it's overly cute and simplified. They wanted a "Mr Toad" (mr toad's wild ride) body with the colleague's head (mr peeper). Keeping it simple was an objective, as well as not focusing on extreme grotesque exaggeration - even slimming the Mr Toad body was thrown in there, but it didn't bother me too much. It was a fun assignment. One thing this gave me respect for was those that use digital inking (Chris Wahl, Lar deSouza)- I'll need some tips on that, as my Wacom gave me little wavy lines unless I zoomed WAY in.Either way, it's fun to show the middle-of-the-road gift caricature commissions sometimes, to keep things honest. Nothing I'd throw on a business card or promo-packet, but it's the meat and potatoes of the work.It also gives me reason to consider this as a regular illustration approach (much like the pig/robot illustrations, below), because of the ease and simplicity it has, while delivering a clear message. Cartooning is a great thing, and has so much diversity and thinking involved (decision-making). There was a time when I emulated many artists' styles in my sketchbook, mostly Stephen Silver and Keelan Parham. It's a great way to learn.As always, critical feedback never goes unnoticed or unappreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger